Modafinil 200mg Drug Information
Modafinil is a medication used to improve wakefulness in people dealing with extreme sleepiness because of various sleep issues such as narcolepsy or sleep apnea. It is also used to treat excessive daytime sleepiness, shift pattern sleep disorder etc. How this drug works is still in the dark. But it is believed that this medicine works on the brain chemicals involved in the sleep/wake pattern. This medicine improves wakefulness in people but it doesn’t make up for the loss of sleep. Hence it is advisable that person consuming this drug should take rest once the effect of the drug is vanished.
In the year of 1998, food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Modafinil medicine to enhance wakefulness in people with sleeping issues. Narcolepsy is characterized by the uncontrolled sleepiness in a daytime. Shift work disorder develops because of night shift work. Sleep apnea is the interrupted breathing in the sleep.
How Modafinil Works?
- Mode of action of drug is its capacity to work on the health ailment cause and to give relief from the symptoms. This is also known as mechanism of action. In the case of modafinil, the mode of action is not known. This drug is used to improve wakefulness in people who are dealing with sleep disorders such as narcolepsy. However this drug is not for curing sleep disorders. One must take this drug as per medical instructions.
- How modafinil drug work on the brain is still in the dark. According to experts, this medicine works on the parts of the brain that are playing important role in sleep/wake process. While some says this medicine has impact on certain brain chemicals involves in the process. This is how this drug helps one to stay awake and alert.
- As mentioned earlier modafinil is used as wakefulness creating drug in people who are dealing with excessive daytime sleepiness. This medication does not develop any dependence yet one must consider medical consultation while considering this drug for long term use.
Precautionary Measures of Modafinil
- Allergic reactions to the chemical oused in the drug are possible. If you develop any allergic symptoms then it’s better to stop consuming modafinil and get immediate medical help.
- Development of skin rash, blisters in mouth, yellowing of skin or peeling, trouble breathing of swallowing should be diagnosed by a medical expert.
- If you get severe side effects such as anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts and so on then you better stoop consuming the medication for good.
- After having modafinil, you may develop heart issues symptoms such as irregular heartbeats, chest pain and problematic breathing. If you get any of these post consumption of the medicine then get medical help.
- It is common to get some mild side effects such as back pain, stuffy nose, headache, dizziness, trouble sleeping and indigestion. However you must have word with your physician if any of these signs stays longer or become severe.
- After consuming modafinil, do not drive or so any other activity that demands complete alertness. This drug may cause some negative effects which may not go well with driving.
- Do not consume this medicine along with alcohol. Have it with plain water. Do not drink booze after consuming the drug.
What is Modafinil Dosage?
It is better to consult your doctor to decide the dosage of modafinil medication. For several sleep issues, dosage changes. The standard dosage is 200mg per day. However for patients with narcolepsy and sleep apnea, single dose in the morning works. People with shift work disorder must consume the medication one hour prior to their shift. Modafinil can be given up to 400mg to patients. This is being the high dose should be administered under medical surveillance. Do not take this high dosage on your own. This medication do not cause any addiction in the user.
What are side effects of Modafinil
- Like all other drugs, modafinil too causes side effects in the users. This medicine develops mild and severe effects in the consumer. However if you follow the medical instructions very carefully then it is possible to avoid such serious aftermaths. Mild ones stay for short time span and the severe ones stays for longer period of time. Modafinil is well tolerated by people however these may develops some severe events in people.
- Dizziness, back pain, headache, nausea, nervousness, stomach upset, nasal congestion etc are some of the mild side effects caused by modafinil. These aftermaths remain for few days. If they don’t go then you must get medical treatment. Not all people suffer from these aftermaths.
- In very rare cases modafinil develops severe side issues. When these develop one must consult with the doctor immediately. Serious allergic reactions, swelling of facial gestures such as lips, mouth and tongue, blisters in the lining of nose and mouth, fever, chills, sore throat, mood swings, mental changes, stomach pain, yellowing of skin or eyes, unusual bleeding or bruising etc are some of the serious aftermaths you might suffer from. These side issues must be treated with proper medical treatment. Do not ignore them as they can be fatal too.
Warnings of Modafinil
- Modafinil drug is known to cause dizziness and this may become severe with alcohol consumption or with certain medications. Thus do not drive after consuming the drug.
- Never use this medication for more than prescribed medicine. This may cause negative effects on health of an individual.
- Oldies are prone to develop severe side effects and that is why using this medicine in them must be done very carefully.
- Safety and effectiveness of this medicament is not confirmed in children and that is why this shouldn’t be used in them.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby then using modafinil must be done after consulting with the doctor.
- Hormonal birth control oral pills do now work if consumed along with this medicine. Thus one should use other contraceptive methods to avoid unwanted pregnancy.
- This medicine does not cure your sleep issues. It just makes you alert and keeps you awake whenever it is necessary to stay up.